Welcome to IRPG!
Hello and Welcome to Island RPG Forums. If you dont have a active account, please click the Register Button on this pop up, if you already have an account, please click Log-In.
Welcome to IRPG!
Hello and Welcome to Island RPG Forums. If you dont have a active account, please click the Register Button on this pop up, if you already have an account, please click Log-In.
Welcome to IRPG!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to IRPG!

The Habbo Roleplay Classic!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Uh.... my research paper? o3o JUST PROOF READ IT X3

Go down 

Do you believe in superstitions?
Yes
Uh.... my research paper? o3o JUST PROOF READ IT X3 Vote_lcap67%Uh.... my research paper? o3o JUST PROOF READ IT X3 Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
No
Uh.... my research paper? o3o JUST PROOF READ IT X3 Vote_lcap33%Uh.... my research paper? o3o JUST PROOF READ IT X3 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
Mental Issues
Satan
Mental Issues

Uh.... my research paper? o3o JUST PROOF READ IT X3 Empty
PostSubject: Uh.... my research paper? o3o JUST PROOF READ IT X3   Uh.... my research paper? o3o JUST PROOF READ IT X3 Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2010, 7:00 pm

Heather Hood

Why does the history of superstitions matter?
Superstitions are beliefs or practices that there seems to be no logical explanation. These beliefs are a result of fear of the unfamiliar, unknown, and the strange. The term superstition is thought to derive from the Latin superstitio, meaning "to stand over in awe." The term is also related to the Latin word superstes, meaning "outliving" or "surviving". (“Superstition” 1).
For example…
Friday the thirteenth is an unlucky day
Step on a crack break your mothers back
At the end of a rainbow is a pot of gold
To find a penny heads up brings good luck
Etc.

So why DOES the history of superstitions matter? Well, in my own opinion, without superstitious behavior a lot of religious rituals or even religions themselves would not be here. I think that superstitions play an important part in certain parts of every person’s life, one way or another. Some people may think its silly, to believe that a black cat crossing your path is bad luck or that a four leaf clover is good luck. There are few people who would not admit to believing secretly one or two beliefs or superstitions.

Now we can get to the real facts. According to the New World Encyclopedia, The earliest superstitions were created as a way to deal with ignorance and fear of the unknown. Superstitions are thus a way of attempting to regain control over events in one's life.
Oregon Collage has something to say:
“Superstitious beliefs are more common among certain groups of people than others, and vary from culture to culture: For example, the number thirteen is considered by many in western society to be inherently unlucky whereas in Japan the number four is often considered unlucky. Some superstitions, notably the connection between mirrors and the soul, are however found to be almost universal, suggesting a deeper connection than mere happenstance or at least a universal experience and interest in such cases. While most superstitions are harmless, and even may be helpful in encouraging people to achieve their goals, attributing results to an unrelated cause if it leads to a lack of responsibility on the part of the person can be somewhat dubious. Understanding the true cause of phenomena is the deepest desire of human beings, and people should not abandon that endeavor in favor of superstition (1). Superstitions that belong to the cultural tradition (in some cases inseparable from religious superstition) are enormous in their variety. Many persons, in nearly all times, have held, seriously or half-seriously, irrational beliefs concerning methods of warding off ill or bringing good, foretelling the future, and healing or preventing sickness or accident. A few specific folk traditions, such as belief in the evil eye or in the efficacy of amulets, have been found in most periods of history and in most parts of the world. Others may be limited to one country, region, or village, to one family, or to one social or vocational group. Finally, people develop personal superstitions: a schoolboy writes a good examination paper with a certain pen, and from then on that pen is lucky; a horse player may be convinced that gray horses run well for him.” (1).

Everyone has there own thoughts about superstitions, as seen in this poll.
Friend and family vote:
Do you believe in superstitions?

--Soon to get Data--

Tell me whachu think x3 also, vote in the poll, but if you already voted (coughemmakcroxascough) please dont vote again, you will mess up my data.
Back to top Go down

Uh.... my research paper? o3o JUST PROOF READ IT X3
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to IRPG! :: Ooc :: Stories-
Jump to: